O. R. Technician-12-hour shifts, primarily 7a-7:30p- Full Time
Nemours Childrenâ€™s Health System
June 13, 2018
As one of the nation's leading pediatric health care systems, Nemours is committed to providing all children with their best chance to grow up healthy. We offer integrated, family-centered care to more than 300,000 children each year in our pediatric hospitals, specialty clinics and primary care practices in Delaware, Florida, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Nemours strives to ensure a healthier tomorrow for all children â“ even those who may never enter our doors â“ through our world-changing research, education and advocacy efforts. At Nemours, our Associates help us deliver on the promise we make to every family we have the privilege of serving: to treat their child as if they were our own.
This position is 60 or 72 hours every two weeks12-hour shifts, primarily 7a-7:30p , with weekend and holiday rotation.
The Surgical/Minor Procedure Technologist is an unlicensed assistive person who works under the supervision of a surgeon/proceduralist, circulating Registered Nurse or other licensed practitioners, to help ensure that the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly, and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. The surgical technologist handles instruments, equipment and supplies necessary for the procedure, performing tasks that include but are not limited to performance of aseptic technique, setting up the sterile field, handing instruments/equipment to the surgeon/proceduralist, labeling medications on the back table, preparing sterile dressings, care of instruments, participating in sponge, needle and instrument counts and participating in the sign in, timeout and sign out of procedures.
1. Implements protective measures to prevent skin or tissue injury due to heat sources, lasers, and external pressure applied by heavy instruments/equipment or by members of the operative/procedural team.
2. In collaboration with the RN circulator, monitors the sterile field and operative team for breaks in technique or compromise to the sterile field to prevent potential adverse clinical events such e.g. infection.
3. Ensures that the use of instruments, supplies and equipment does not compromise patient or team safety by employing principles of safe instrument and equipment handling.
4. Properly identifies, collects, and transfers specimens to RN circulator as directed by surgeon/proceduralist.
5. Participates in and performs needle, sponge and instrument counts as established in hospital policy.
6. Implements latex precautions as needed, protecting patients at risk with latex allergy/sensitivity from exposure to natural rubber by hospital policy and guidelines.
7. In collaboration with the surgical team, actively participates in the Universal Protocol Sign In, TIME OUT, and Sign Out for each procedure
Graduate of Surgical Technology program
Certified surgical technologist preferred
Our dedication to professionals who are dedicated to children frequently earns Nemours a spot on the list of top workplaces in the communities we serve. Our Associates enjoy comprehensive benefits, including our unique âœBridge to a Healthy Futureâ pediatric health plan, an integrated wellness program, opportunities for professional growth, and much more. As an equal opportunity employer, Nemours focuses on the best-qualified applicants for our openings.