The Scrub Technician, under the guidance of the Special Procedure Technologist is responsible for the care and safety of the patient who comes under his/her care. Included within this assignment is the responsibility for insuring effective communication with the other Special Procedure team members, the patient, physician/surgeons, and other ancillary departments. The Scrub Tech is trained in the delivery of age appropriate care by hospital policy. Performs assigned tasks in accordance with the hospital's philosophy, values, standards, policies and procedures.
Action Oriented -- Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy and enthusiasm.
Collaborate -- Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
Customer Focus -- Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
Nimble Learning -- Actively learning through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
Demonstrates Self-Awareness -- Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
Communicates Effectively -- Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Decision Quality -- Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
SURGERY TECHNICIAN ROLE
* Assists the special procedure technologist, physician, and nurse in setting up room with instruments, supplies, and equipment needed for the surgical case.
* Performs scrubbing, gowning and gloving procedures according to departmental policies.
* Sets up sterile back table and trays with appropriate instruments and supplies based on procedure.
* Performs sponge, sharps and instrument counts with the circulating nurse according to department policy.
* Assists with draping of patients.
* Anticipates needs of radiologist during cases.
* Identifies, prepares and passes instruments and supplies in an efficient manner.
* Maintains operative field in a sterile, neat and dry environment.
* Assists the circulating nurse in providing for patient's safety.
2. SURGERY TECHNICIAN RESPONSIBILITIES
* At completion of case
* Proper disposal of sharps
* Returns instruments and supplies to case cart
* Places linen in linen hamper
* Places trash in appropriate receptacles
* Removes gown and gloves prior to leaving the special procedure
* Assists in returning equipment and unused supplies to their proper places
* Assists in the cleaning and room turn over
3. THE PATIENT'S RIGHTS TO CONFIDENTIALITY WILL BE MAINTAINED BY ALL PATIENT CARE PERSONNEL.
* Handles all patient communication and documentation in a confidential manner.
* Does not release patient information/records without following hospital policy.
4. OBTAINS KNOWLEDGE OF AND DEMONSTRATES COMPLIANCE WITH INFECTION CONTROL POLICY AND PROCEDURES.
* Practices universal precautions in all patient care.
* Appropriately handles and disposes of sharps and biological matter.
5. DEMONSTRATES KNOWLEDGE OF UNIT SPECIFIC POLICIES AND PROCEDURES AND THE ABILITY TO SAFELY AND COMPETENTLY USE UNIT SPECIFIC PATIENT CARE EQUIPMENT IN THE DELIVERY OF QUALITY PATIENT CARE.
* Completed Unit Specific Annual Competency Checklist.
* Obtains necessary training prior to initial equipment use.
* Assures equipment is in operating order prior to use.
* Differentiates between patient complications and equipment malfunction.
* Uses medical equipment in accordance with manufacturer's operating guidelines.
CHRISTUS HEALTH is an international Catholic, faith-based, not-for-profit health system comprised of almost more than 600 services and facilities, including more than 60 hospitals and long-term care facilities, 350 clinics and outpatient centers, and dozens of other health ministries and ventures. CHRISTUS operates in 6 U.S. states, Colombia, Chile and 6 states in Mexico. To support our health care ministry, CHRISTUS Health employs approximately 45,000 Associates and has more than 15,000 physicians on medical staffs who provide care and support for patients. CHRISTUS Health is listed among the top ten largest Catholic health systems in the United States.