The Certified Surgical Technologist assists the surgeon during operative and invasive procedures. The CST ensures that the operating suite is adequately prepared for procedures, monitors PAR level of all surgical instruments and supplies, and cleans and sterilizes all surgical instruments. Compliance with rules and regulations of all applicable federal, state and local laws as well as Phelps Memorial Health Center policies is a condition of employment.
Incumbent must have the skills, ability and judgment to perform the following essential job duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation:
1. Interacts professionally with patient and family.
2. Provides patient with explanations and verbal reassurance, as necessary.
3. Notifies appropriate licensed staff when patient complains of pain.
4. Adapts procedures to meet individual needs of neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients for treatment.
5. Prepares room in a timely manner with all anticipated instruments, sutures, supplies and equipment for each individual surgical procedure.
6. Demonstrates competence in care of specimens and accurately handles specimens at all times.
7. Assists in positioning, prepping and draping of patients for surgical procedures.
8. Accurately completes operating room counts (instruments, sponges, needles); follows proper procedure in the event of incorrect count; reports all discrepancies to Circulating RN and surgeon and/or corrects immediately.
9. Carries out medical/surgical asepsis during treatments/procedures.
10. Maintains safe environment for patient, co-workers and self, per hospital policies and procedures.
11. Checks all equipment/instruments needed, prior to each procedure to ensure proper functioning.
12. Protects patient’s sensitivities and right to privacy; closely observes patient with minimal disturbance.
13. Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity. Identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethnic and religious/spiritual needs of patients and their families.
14. Follows aseptic technique, when opening sterile supplies and setting up procedures.
15. Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
16. Supports and maintains a culture of safety and quality.
17. Sets up, scrubs and prepares for procedures at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled time, unless otherwise directed by Circulating RN or Nurse Manager.
18. Performs services requiring technical or manual skills under the direction of Circulating RN.
19. Always maintains an orderly and sterile instrument table for the purpose of efficiency; follows department standard set up.
20. Passes instruments and supplies to the surgeon during the procedure.
21. Anticipates needs of surgeon during intra-operative phase.
22. Holds retractors or instruments as directed by the surgeon.
23. Passes colonoscope or EGD as directed by the surgeon/physician.
24. Cleans and prepares rooms between procedures and after last case; restocks supplies, when necessary and organizes effectively for end-of-case clean up.
25. Is fully responsible for care of instruments/equipment/scopes during intra/postoperative phase, including cleaning and processing of instruments/scopes.
26. Follows written procedures for steam sterilization; knows responsibilities and the necessity for chemical and biological monitoring.
27. Works in sterile processing department as assigned.
28. Consults with other staff members, when in question or unfamiliar with equipment or procedure.
29. Regularly collaborates with other members of the nursing team, in order to maintain equipment and supplies for surgical procedures.
30. Completes documentation within shift and meets current standards, policies and procedures.
31. Establishes and maintains effective communication and good working relationship with co workers for the patient’s benefit
32. Makes decisions reflecting knowledge of facts and good judgment within the Certified Surgical Technologist’s scope of practice.
33. Makes decisions reflecting knowledge of assigned case and instruments and/or trays to be pulled for the procedure.
1. Current certification as a Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA).
Phelps Memorial Health Center is a 25-bed critical access hospital located in Holdrege, Nebraska. Our caring, hardworking healthcare team is driven by honesty, integrity and compassion. We are dedicated to always doing what is right, even when no one is watching. After all, it’s the little things that truly make a difference. We are, Team Phelps.