Help move health care into the future. At Banner Health we are changing health care to make the experience the best it can be. If that sounds like something you want to be part of, apply today.
From towering, snow-capped mountain ranges to elevated prairies, Wyoming is an outpost of rugged beauty, and home to some a variety of wildlife. This state has a friendly, welcoming culture with a Western flair that is evident from the luxury of Jackson Hole to its historic small towns. From national parks and American Indian powwows to five-star food, sumptuous spas and a lively craft beer scene, Wyoming offers an invigorating view into authentic Western life.
As a Surgical Technologist at Platte County Memorial Hospital & Torrington Community Hospital, you will primarily be operating as a Scrub Tech, helping with surgeries, sterile processing, and more! This is a full-time position working 6:00am-3:30pm. If you're looking for great flexibility in your work, while working alongside a great team, this role is for you - apply today!
POSITION SUMMARY This position selects and places surgical instruments, supplies and equipment during surgery. Scrubs and provides instruments, sutures, and other sterile supplies during surgical procedure. In addition, is responsible for the proper care and handling of all general and specialty instruments including the cleaning, assembly, preparation, and sterilization of surgical instrumentation.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Prepares for surgical procedures. Pulls appropriate instruments and supplies and ensures good working order of instruments. Reviews case carts for correct instruments and supplies. Plans ahead for upcoming surgical case needs.
2. Anticipates the surgeon's needs. Passes instruments, retracts tissue and operates equipment during surgery.
3. Demonstrates the principles of aseptic technique and universal precautions throughout the procedure. Disposes of sharps and trash and places used supplies into case cart for processing. Participates in counting of sharps, instruments and sponges. Prepares instruments for cleaning following each case.
4. Decontaminates, assembles and packages all instruments following established protocols as well as perform necessary repairs, reassembles and stores specialized surgical instruments. Prepares all order requests as necessary for replacement parts for instruments and additional equipment as necessary or upon request of physicians.
5. Assembles general surgical instrument trays, power equipment sets and all implant systems in accordance with the specifications on the inventory sheets. Inspects instruments to ensure they are in good working condition, removing and placing damaged instruments in the repair box. Determines the priority level of instrument sets and single instruments to be processed following established protocols.
6. Utilizes Standard Precautions, thoroughly decontaminating and separating surgical instrument sets, power equipment, OR case carts, implant systems, patient care equipment and all other reusable items returned to Central Sterile Processing workroom. Communicates needs for equipment maintenance and replacement and assists in process of all directly related supplies. Communicates with all customers as to the availability of instrumentation as needed for procedures.
7. Loads and operates washer decontaminators, ultrasonic cleaners, cart washers, steam gun and heat sealers and all other equipment used in the decontamination process. Maintains a clean and safe environment by adhering to Standard Precautions and Infection Control practices.
8. Ensures that all surgeon preference cards and pick lists are accurate. Assists with OR turnover between cases and transporting patients. Assist and supports anesthesia services. Participates in stocking, replenishing supplies and cleaning operating rooms.
9. This position follows safety procedures in regards to medication labeling, appropriate handling of specimens, appropriate handling of sharps, time-out procedure, radiation and laser safety, infection control, assembling and disassembling instruments. Participates in emergency call rotation. Internal customers are patients, surgeons, and nursing staff. External customers may include practicing physicians and patient families.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge and current basic life support certification.
The position requires manual dexterity and the ability to maintain professional decorum in highly stressful emergent situations. The position requires the ability to be conscientious, organized, and orderly and the ability to respond quickly to the needs of the surgeon and patient. Must stay abreast of new developments in the field.
Requires knowledge of surgical instrumentation, patient related supplies, materials, equipment, aseptic and sterilization techniques. Must have mechanical aptitude with the ability to break down moving parts, clean, lubricate and reassemble, problem solve incomplete trays and missing instrumentation and have effective organizational, communication and human relation skills.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Graduation from a certified school of surgical technology or 2 years of operating room experience. SPD sterile processing experience preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.