DMC Detroit Receiving Hospital, Michiganâ��s first Level I Trauma Center, helped pioneer the evolution of emergency medicine and currently has one of the busiest and most well-equipped emergency departments anywhere. The first and largest verified burn center in the state is at Receiving, and it is one of only 43 in the nation. Receiving also offers the stateâ��s leading 24/7 hyperbaric oxygen program, Metro Detroitâ��s first certified primary stroke center, and the nationally recognized and accredited DMC Rosa Parks Geriatric Center of Excellence.
Under direct supervision and according to established policies and procedures, performs a variety of duties in the OR and related areas to assist the surgical team and surgeon. Performs the duties of a surgical technician and provides direct assistance to the surgeon as a surgical technologist first-assistant during surgeries. Facilitates surgical procedures by providing the surgeon with necessary surgical instruments, supplies and/or equipment.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Scrubs on all types of operating procedures; handles surgical instruments, sutures & sponges; anticipates the needs of the surgeon, assisting as required. Maintains strict aseptic technique, identifying and correcting any breaks in technique. Maintains an accurate count of sponges, sharps and instruments; assumes joint responsibility with the circulating nurse for ensuring that all are accounted for during and after the operation. Observes patient's condition while in the OR; reports any changes to the staff nurse and/or anesthesia.
2. Prepares for scheduled operative procedures, ensuring that necessary equipment, instruments and supplies are available and ready for use.
3. Maintains a clean and safe OR environment; cleans rooms and sterilizes equipment. Restocks OR with standard supplies and assists in updating surgical instrument sets. Maintains power equipment and specialty instrumentation within assigned specialty areas.
4. Assists in the transportation of patients to and from the OR; verifies patient identity; assists with lifting and positioning of patient for surgical procedures.
5. Provides direct assistance to the surgeon during surgery as first-assistant. Handles tissue; provides exposure, sutures, uses instruments and provides hemostasis under the direct supervision of the surgeon. Facilitates surgical procedures by providing the surgeon with necessary surgical instruments, supplies and/or equipment.
6. Participates in the orientation of new surgical technician personnel.
7. May assist as second circulator under the direction of a registered nurse. Prepares materials to be presented in dept in-service education programs as assigned. Assists in the trial and evaluation of new surgical products. Provides input to managers in developing new policies and procedures for the department. Participates on committees as assigned.*
8. Performs other related duties as assigned..
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Certification as a surgical technologist by an accredited certifying agency recognized by the Association of Surgical Technologists.
3. Graduation from an accredited First Assistant program.
4. Surgical First Assistant certification.
5. Certified in CPR.
6. One to two years experience as a surgical technologist in an operating room setting.
1. Interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively and efficiently with nursing and medical staff in stressful and emergency situations.
2. Physical stamina for prolonged standing, walking, and lifting.
3. Manual dexterity and visual acuity including ability to see fine discriminate detail, to pass instruments, cut sutures, hold retractors, etc.
4. Knowledge of medical terminology and anatomy required.
Primary Location: Detroit, Michigan
Facility: DMC Receiving Hospital
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Days
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet Healthcare Corporation (NYSE: THC) is a diversified healthcare services company headquartered in Dallas with 112,000 employees. Through an expansive care network that includes United Surgical Partners International, we operate 65 hospitals and approximately 510 other healthcare facilities, including surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care and imaging centers and other care sites and clinics. We also operate Conifer Health Solutions, which provides revenue cycle management and value-based care services to hospitals, health systems, physician practices, employers and other clients. Across the Tenet enterprise, we are united by our mission to deliver quality, compassionate care in the communities we serve.