POSITION PURPOSE: Two to three sentences describing the overall purpose of the position.
Assists during surgical procedures by ensuring and maintaining the integrity of a sterile surgical field and providing instrumentation as needed to the surgical team. Participates in unit activities that assure high levels of quality related to patient care. Functions under the direction of a Registered Nurse.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Maximum of ten functions in order of percentage of time spent on functions from longest to shortest; do not list anything that does not represent at least 10% of the jobas time. Please include supervisory responsibilities.
1. Possesses expertise in the theory and application of sterile and aseptic technique and combines the knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and implementation of tools and technologies in performance of invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures. Functions with working knowledge of AORN standards.
2. Proficiently maintains and checks all items for proper packaging, processing, moisture, seal and packaging integrity, sterile indicator if present, and expiration dates. Ensures that the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly, and the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety.
3. Monitors sterile field for events that may contaminate, interfere, or alter field and initiates or notifies of need for corrective action.
4. Performs at an expert level in 1 and 2 surgical cases and assist in precepting new hires.
5. Maintains flexibility while contributing to the individualized, ongoing delivery of care within the scope of practice.
6. Models effective, timely communication with the perioperative team with full participation in Time Out Process to include Briefings and Debriefings.
7. Models professional behavior to include maintaining current in new technologies and procedures, including instrumentation and equipment.
8. Role models the principals of a Just Culture
9. Perform other duties as assigned. Must be HIPAA compliant
This description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
One yearA operating room Surgical Technologist experience required.
Licensed as a Surgical Technologist in the state of Colorado required.
Basic Life Support (BLS) by American Heart Association, required.
Computer / Typing:
Must possess, or be able to obtain within 90 days, the computers skills necessary to complete online learning requirements for job-specific competencies, access online forms and policies, complete online benefits enrollment, etc.
Must have working knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English.
Vail Health, formerly Vail Valley Medical Center, is a nonprofit community health care system serving patients and guests from around the world. Locally operated and governed by a volunteer board of directors, Vail Health includes a 56-bed hospital, accredited by the Joint Commission. Our 24/7 emergency department in Vail is a Level III Trauma Center with a nearby helipad for necessary medical transports. Vail Health provides a wide array of services and access points including Beaver Creek Medical Center, urgent care clinics in Avon and Gypsum, our Edwards medical campus, Eagle Healthcare Center and a multispecialty clinic in Frisco. Howard Head Sports Medicine offers physical therapy services at 10 locations and works closely with our internationally renowned orthopaedic partners at The Steadman Clinic and Vail-Summit Orthopaedics. In addition, Vail Health's Shaw Cancer Center and Sonnenalp Breast Center are the region’s only fully accredited cancer treatment center and comprehensive breast center. The Vail Clinic, which was founded in 1965, officially became “Vail Valley Medical Center” in 1980, its first year as a full-service hospital. At that time, we had one primary locatio...n and 25 physicians. Today, Vail Health has locations in nine towns, nearly 1,000 employees, 260 physician partners and 85 volunteers. Vail Health is an equal-opportunity employer. The hospital is handicap accessible and adheres to the Americans with Disabilities Act. Smoking is prohibited in our facilities. This includes e-cigarettes.