Certified Surgical First Assist – AdventHealth Gordon
Location: Calhoun, GA
All the benefits and perks you need for you and your family:
Benefits from Day One
Paid Days Off from Day One
Whole Person Wellbeing Resources
Mental Health Resources and Support
Our promise to you:
Joining AdventHealth is about being part of something bigger. It’s about belonging to a community that believes in the wholeness of each person, and serves to uplift others in body, mind and spirit. AdventHealth is a place where you can thrive professionally, and grow spiritually, by Extending the Healing Ministry of Christ. Where you will be valued for who you are and the unique experiences you bring to our purpose-minded team. All while understanding that together we are even better.
Shift: Days 3/8 hr days OR 2/12 hr days - some travel and call required
Location: 1035 Red Bud Rd Calhoun, GA 30701
The role you’ll contribute:
The Surgical First Assistant provides aid in exposure, hemostasis, closure, and other intraoperative technical functions that help the surgeon carry out a safe operation with optimal results for the patient. The Surgical First Assistant also performs pre-operative and post-operative duties to better facilitate proper patient care. These functions are performed during the operation under the direction and supervision of the surgeon and in accordance with hospital policy and appropriate laws and regulations. Collaborates as part of the OR team to ensure efficient and timely room set up and turnover.
The value you’ll bring to the team:
Utilizes physician preference cards to set up operating suites. May update and route cards appropriately, when instructed
• Determines appropriate surgical equipment and supplies, based on physician’s preference
• Achieves temporary and permanent hemostasis by applying appropriate techniques
• Assists with body plane closures, wound dressing applications, and securing drainage systems
• Positions patients appropriately, uses stabilizing equipment when necessary, and prioritizes patient comfort and safety
• Provides visualization for operative sites by applying appropriate methods, which includes tissue manipulation, retraction, sponging, suction, and irrigation
• Supervises other healthcare team members in the surgical environment. Utilizes knowledge base to assist with orientation, training, and education of new personnel.
• Promotes a safe environment. Takes appropriate action in emergency situations, maintains awareness and control of hazards which may endanger patients, visitors and employees; identifies and reports environmental concerns to the management team. Ensures adherence to appropriate regulatory standards and Florida Hospital policies and procedures.
• Assists team with safe and appropriate operating room turnover times in an efficient and organized manner
• Supervises other healthcare team members in the surgical environment
• Performs other duties as assigned
Qualifications - External
The expertise and experiences you’ll need to succeed:
Knowledge and Experience Preferred:
Previous first assistant experience related to the area of specialty
• Ability to prepare surgical suites with appropriate instruments, resources, and supplies based on surgeon preference cards
• Knowledge of instruments, supplies, and equipment utilized for surgical procedures
• Understanding of the procedures being performed and ability to anticipate the needs of the surgeon
• Strong physician/surgeon relationship skills and team mentality
• Up-to-date knowledge of patient rights and ability to respect cultural, psychosocial, and spiritual values
• Up-to-date knowledge of applicable regulatory, compliance, and accreditation standards and requirements
• Ability to communicate appropriately and effectively with patients and their family, hospital staff, nurses, physicians, and other health care professionals
• Must be able to read, write and speak conversational English
• Basic computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office
Education and Experience Preferred:
2 years technical experience
High school diploma or equivalent
• Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
• Current certification by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) as a Certified Surgical First Assistant (CSFA), or through the National Commission for the Certification of Surgical Assistants as a Certified Surgical Assistant (CSA), or American Board of Surgical Assistants (ABSA). In lieu of certification, previous documented experience as a surgeon.
At AdventHealth, Extending the Healing Ministry of Christ is our mission. It calls us to be His hands and feet in helping people feel whole. Our story is one of hope — one that strives to heal and restore the body, mind and spirit. Our more than 80,000 skilled and compassionate caregivers in hospitals, physician practices, outpatient clinics, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies and hospice centers are committed to providing individualized, wholistic care.