The Surgical Technician 2 functions in the inter operative phase of patient care to expedite surgical procedures, under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse. This position assists the surgical team through the use of equipment and instrumentation to ensure that the operating room environment is safe and that required equipment is available and functioning properly.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE ROLE
Sets up the operating room according to surgical procedure schedules; arranges sterile set up of instrument table supplies and equipment required for specific procedure.
Ensures the proper functioning of surgical instruments, equipment and supplies during surgical procedures.
Prepares the operative site by aseptically cleaning and shaving. Cleans the operating room following each case and returns equipment to appropriate storage areas. Ensures the cleaning, decontamination, sterilization, maintenance and preparation of surgical instruments, equipment and supplies for distribution.
Assists the surgical team with draping and positioning the patient.
Maintains inventory of clean and sterilized surgical equipment, instruments and supplies in accordance with established policies and procedures and regulatory standards. Collaborates and maintains control of maintenance of inventory; orders supplies, documents equipment use and cart supplies, and maintains applicable records and files.
Follows infection control policies, Association of perioperative Registered Nurses (AORN) recommendation practices, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines, and other regulatory requirements in order to assure a safe work environment for self, coworkers and patients.
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS
Knowledge of infection prevention and regulatory sterilization standards.
Knowledge of the theory and application of sterile and aseptic technique.
Knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures and implementation tools and technologies to assist surgeons with invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures.
Good verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills to interact with surgical and central sterile processing team members.
Occasional exposure to chemical and radiation hazards.
Successful completion of:
1. a Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) accredited OR other nationally accredited surgical technologist program. Additionally, holds and maintains certification as a (CST) surgical technologist by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) or the National Center for Competency Testing or their successor OR
2. Successful Completion of formal training program for surgical technology in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard of the United States or in the United States Public Health Service Commissioner OR
3. Was employed to practice surgical technology in a health care facility before September 1, 2009
Our competitive benefits package includes the following - Immediate eligibility for health and welfare benefits - 401(k) savings plan with dollar-for-dollar match up to 5% - Tuition Reimbursement - PTO accrual beginning Day 1 Note: Benefits may vary based upon position type and/or level
- EDUCATION - Grad of an Accredited Program
- EXPERIENCE - Less than 1 Year of Experience
- CERTIFICATION/LICENSE/REGISTRATION - Basic Life Support (BLS): BLS or BLS within 30 days of hire or transfer.
Cert Surgical Technologist (CST): CST from NBSTSA or NCCT (EDU must be CAAHEP accredited) -IF NOT CERT/GAP: Surgical tech experience in a healthcare facility before 9/1/2009 OR surgical tech program in the Army/Navy/Air Force/MarineCorps/Coast Guard/US Public Health Service Commissioner.
Baylor Scott & White Health (BSWH) is the largest not-for-profit health care system in Texas and one of the largest in the United States. With a commitment to and a track record of innovation, collaboration, integrity and compassion for the patient, BSWH stands to be one of the nation’s exemplary health care organizations. Our mission is to serve all people by providing personalized health and wellness through exemplary care, education and research as a Christian ministry of healing. Joining our team is not just accepting a job, it’s accepting a calling!