Location: Warwick, New York
The Surgical Technologist is responsible for patient care preparation during surgical intervention, under the direction of a registered nurse, in conjunction with the surgeon, anesthesiologist, or nurse anesthetist. This position prepares and maintains supplies and equipment required to deliver safe and effective perioperative care. In addition, this position is responsible for maintaining the sterile field during surgery.
- Ensures all instruments, equipment, and supplies are available for patient procedure.
- Communicates with other members of the health care team regarding the patient's condition during the perioperative period.
- Cleans and disinfects equipment.
- Protects the welfare of patients by appropriately handling all surgical specimens including proper labeling and recording into the Pathology log.
- Applies principles of asepsis to maintain a sterile field and assists with terminal care of equipment and supplies after the surgical procedure is completed.
- Prepares the OR and sterile field for surgical procedures and ensures the surgical equipment functions properly.
- Assists the OR team to position patients for surgery.
- Performs non-invasive prepping to the skin's surface and drapes patients for surgery.
- Assists the surgeon's provision of hemostasis during surgery by handing instruments.
- Holds a retractor after placement by a healthcare professional.
- Identifies emergency situations and institutes corrective actions in a calm and efficient manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
CST required. Prior surgical technician experience required. Experience using the Autoclave for IUSS Immediate Use Steam Sterilization.
High School or equivalent required.
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, the use of personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies pertaining to infection control.
St Anthony Community Hospital
For over 75 years, St. Anthony Community Hospital in Warwick, NY, has been serving the residents of Orange County, NY, and New Jersey's Sussex and Passaic counties with outstanding and compassionate care. The 60-bed hospital has been a primary resource for emergency, medical, surgical, obstetrical/gynecological and acute-care services. Also on campus is the Mount Alverno Center, a state-approved adult home with an assisted-living program serving 85 residents, and Schervier Pavilion, a 120-bed skilled-nursing facility dedicated to the highest standard of healthcare excellence.