Location: Valhalla, New York
Salary Range:$33.99-$37.28**Sign on Bonus - $10,000**
The Surgical Technologist performs perioperative scrub techniques and patient care as a member of the surgical care team under the direction of the Physician or Registered Nurse. This position provides the surgical team with the necessary instruments, sutures, special equipment and materials needed to perform surgery while maintaining strict aseptic technique. Additionally, they prepare patients, operating rooms and equipment for pending surgical procedures.
- Performs pre-surgical scrub procedures and dons gown, gloves and personal protective equipment (PPE) as needed.
- Gathers, checks and opens supplies and equipment needed for the surgical procedure.
- Sets up the sterile back table and Mayo stand with instruments, supplies, equipment, and medications/solutions needed for the procedure.
- Performs initial instrument, sharps and sponge counts with the circulator.
- Assists the surgical team members with gowning and gloving.
- Assists with preparing the patient for surgery, including verification of patient/consent for surgery, skin prep, draping the patient, establishing/securing the sterile field.
- Participates in the surgical site and patient verification during the time out procedure.
- Prepares and anticipates additional instrumentation, equipment and supplies for usage during the procedure.
- Anticipates the needs of the surgeon by passing instruments and supplies to surgeon during procedure.
- Measures and passes medications, hemostatic agents and irrigation solutions utilized during the surgical procedure.
- Holds retractors or instruments as directed by the surgeon.
- Sponges or suctions the operative site as directed by the surgeon.
- Maintains the highest standard of sterile technique during the procedure.
- Performs instrument, sharps, and sponge counts with the surgical technologist in the first scrub role prior to the operation and before the incision is closed and performs additional counts as needed.
- Prepares sterile dressings and/or immobilization devices and secures as needed.
- Prepares and passes off specimen(s) as appropriate following surgical services procedures.
- Assists with room turnover.
- Keeps accurate records throughout the procedure.
- Helps transport the patient to and from the operating room.
- Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization and assists other members of the team with terminal cleaning of room.
- Assists in prepping the OR for the next patient.
- Participates in debriefing and quality improvement practices to ensure quality patient care and patient safety.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
1 to 2 years of surgical technologist experience in the operating room, preferred.
High school or GED required; Associate's Degree in Operating Technology, preferred.
Licenses / Certifications:
Completion of a nationally accredited educational program for surgical technologists and possession of a certified surgical technologist credential administered by a nationally accredited surgical technologist credentialing organization*; or Completion of a training program for surgical technology in the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, or Public Health Service Commissioned Corps; or Written verification by a health care facility of employment as a surgical technologist for a cumulative period of one year occurring within the four years immediately prior to January 1, 2015; or A person may be employed to practice during the twelve month period immediately following successful completion of a surgical technology program, but may not be continued to be employed past that time without possession of a certified surgical technologist credential administered by a nationally accredited surgical technologist credentialing organization.
WMC Advanced Physician Services PC