Location: Orlando, Florida
The Surgical/Minor Procedure Technologist is an unlicensed assistive person who works under the supervision of a surgeon/proceduralist, circulating Registered Nurse or other licensed practitioners, to help ensure that the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly, and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. The surgical technologist handles instruments, equipment and supplies necessary for the procedure, performing tasks that include but are not limited to performance of aseptic technique, setting up the sterile field, handing instruments/equipment to the surgeon/proceduralist, labeling medications on the back table, preparing sterile dressings, care of instruments, participating in sponge, needle and instrument counts and participating in the sign in, timeout and sign out of procedures.
Surgical Technologist NEW GRADS WELCOME TO APPLY!!
Click Here to take a virtual tour.
- Implements protective measures to prevent skin or tissue injury due to heat sources, lasers, and external pressure applied by heavy instruments/equipment or by members of the operative/procedural team.
- In collaboration with the RN circulator, monitors the sterile field and operative team for breaks in technique or compromise to the sterile field to prevent potential adverse clinical events such e.g. infection.
- Ensures that the use of instruments, supplies and equipment does not compromise patient or team safety by employing principles of safe instrument and equipment handling.
- Properly identifies, collects, and transfers specimens to RN circulator as directed by surgeon/proceduralist.
- Participates in and performs needle, sponge and instrument counts as established in hospital policy.
- Implements latex precautions as needed, protecting patients at risk with latex allergy/sensitivity from exposure to natural rubber by hospital policy and guidelines.
- In collaboration with the surgical team, actively participates in the Universal Protocol Sign In, TIME OUT, and Sign Out for each procedure
- Maintains awareness of patient Allergies and implements latex precautions as needed, protecting patients at risk with latex allergy/sensitivity from exposure to natural rubber by hospital policy and guidelines
- Insures sterility of instrumentation and equipment for procedures; checks integrity of packages before opening, checks chemical indicators for appropriate color change and recognizes and initiates corrective action for any compromise of sterility.
- Assists with patient transfers, taking care to prevent shearing injuries to patients
- High School Diploma required; Graduate of Surgical Technology program or equivalent preferred
- American Heart Association BLS required upon hire
- Certified surgical technologist preferred
- Minimum of 1 year experience in hospital or outpatient surgery setting as a surgical technologist preferred; Surgical Technologist NEW GRADS WELCOME TO APPLY!!