Location: Poughkeepsie, New York
Under the guidance of the Registered Nurse, the Operating Room Surgical Technician, is responsible for assisting with preparation of surgical patients by performing routine and delegated duties according to standards and policies of the Operating Room and the Hospital.Job
- Follows standard procedures for surgical intervention assisting in accordance with preference of Surgeon and Anesthesiologist.
- Exhibits timely, satisfactory completion of assignments with minimal assistance and/or direction.
- Interacts with other team members to establish priorities of assigned tasks.
- Ensures all necessary equipment available prior to start of procedure.
- Reports unsafe conditions promptly.
- Applies and monitors principles of aseptic technique throughout intra-operative period.
- Assists with positioning patients to ensure protection of patient's skin integrity.
- Reports relevant observations of patient's response to Surgical Team.
- Accurately performs sponge, needle and instrument count according to policy and procedure.
- Collects and handles specimens according to hospital policy.
- Assists and anticipates needs of surgical team for instruments, sutures, sponges and supplies.
- Demonstrates composure in stressful situations and responds appropriately in emergencies.
Preparation and sterilization practices and techniques.
- Follows prescribed procedures in preparation and assembly of reusable sets of instruments and equipment.
- Correctly identifies the unassembled components of each surgical instrument tray, inspecting each instrument for possible defects to ensure working order.
- Maintains knowledge of specialized equipment used in the Operating Room.
Materials Management, Distribution/Storage
- Observes cost containment practice by using supplies judiciously.
- Provides input regarding evaluation of new products.
- Assists Service Leader in maintaining inventory and/or ordering supplies.
- Stocks sterile goods appropriately.
- Checks supplies for expiration dates and integrity of packaging.
- Directs and guides support personnel. Maintains appropriate check-off list of skills for orienting employees and provides written and verbal input to the Nurse Manager regarding performance.
- Assumes professional accountability and responsibility for his/her performance. Assists others in completion of assignment when necessary; offers to take additional call as needed; identifies and assists others in problem-solving and reports problems to coordinator/ manager/designee and follow through as directed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of one year O.R. experience preferred or a recent graduate of an accredited Surgical Technical School.
- High school graduate or equivalent required
- Member of AST preferred
- BLS required
- CST (certified surgical technologist) required
- If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control
MidHudson Regional Hospital
MidHudson Regional Hospital in Poughkeepsie, NY, is home to the mid-Hudson Valley's most advanced healthcare services. This 243-bed facility cares for more than 10,000 inpatients annually while performing an additional 325,000 outpatient procedures each year. MidHudson Regional Hospital operates the area's only Level II trauma center, is home to the Redl Center for Cancer Care and Center for Robotic Surgery, and is a destination hospital for patients with serious illnesses and injuries.